TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR LIFE!

I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This is a very common hormonal disorder that has the following symptoms (from WebMD):

  • Few or no menstrual periods or
  • Heavy, irregular vaginal bleeding.
  • Male pattern baldness
  • Male-type hair growth (hirsutism) on the face and body
  • Acne and oily skin, caused by high androgen levels.
  • Depression or mood swings
  • Obesity

If you watch I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant, then women with PCOS are also obviously idiots.

We have a DVR and I tape a lot of stuff. Most of it, I end up deleting without watching. Just not enough time. But sometimes I’ll have a few minutes and will fill it with something mindless. This show, generally is pretty mindless but it always PISSES ME OFF!

When I was diagnosed with PCOS, I asked my doctor what it meant. She went through the symptoms and talked about what could be done. I asked about the affect on fertility and she told me that it meant that it might be difficult but not impossible for me to conceive.

Again, DIFFICULT, but not IMPOSSIBLE.

I was put on the birth control pill because I didn’t want a child at the time and it would help some of the symptoms. I was also told that there was some chance that the hormones would level my hormones out enough that there was a possibility getting pregnant during the 7 days I was off the pill each month. So, I was advised to use a back-up birth control during those 7 days. I was also told that antibiotics could disrupt the pill and that I should also have a back-up for those times as well.

I was also advised that if I missed a period, I should assume I’m pregnant and test. If I missed two periods, I should call the doctor’s office.

I have no idea how many pregnancy tests and condoms I bought over the next 6 years. I had a good bit of trouble with sinus infections during this time too and every time I’d pick up a prescription for antibiotics, I’d buy a box of condoms too.

In 6 years, I was late numerous times. My period would be late and I’d test and it would be negative. Then a few days later, I’d start. I never missed more than one period. If I was really late, I’d test multiple times and I’d decide the date that I’d call the doctor. That usually meant I’d start the next day. Irony is a bitch. LOL!

On one occasion, I was 42 days late. I wound up at the emergency room on day 24 because of excruciating pain and found out I had a cyst on my ovary. I had written down a date just a week out on my calendar when this happened, so I was already planning to get my doctor involved.

So I’m telling you what my story of PCOS and doctor’s care is.. what the hell kind of care have these women had? One woman was told it was IMPOSSIBLE for her to get pregnant and goes on about her business until she delivers a baby in a toilet. If a doctor told me ANYTHING was IMPOSSIBLE, I’d be getting a second opinion.

Is that the difference between me and some of these folks? Or have I made the decision to take charge of my care? I think it’s the latter.

Do we think that because a doctor says something that that automatically makes it so!?!? When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had a doctor tell me I would probably die on the operating table. Did I just give up and make out my will? HELL NO!! I got mad and made it my mission to be as healthy as possible.

Hate your doctor? Fine. Find another one. But find a medical provider who looks at you as a person and not as a machine or in the case of some of these women – defective machines.

TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR BODY AND YOUR HEALTH!!!

Find out how your ladybits work!! Read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Even if you aren’t interested in starting a family, this can help you really understand your cycle at ALL POINTS IN YOUR LIFE!! I read it while I was trying to get pregnant and after my daughter was born to understand when my period might come back.

Ms. Weschler also has a great book for teens called Cycle Savvy. I’m already planning to buy a copy for my kid when she’s 8 or 9.

I think the thing I hate about this show is that the women are all treated like some kind of victim. At some point, they are all shown hysterical at some point, which just makes me sad. Sad that they are so disconnected from their bodies that they couldn’t tell or ignored that something was "off” or so ignorant of their health that they took as a sure thing what was told to them by a medical professional.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Because of the SPAM, I moderate messages. If you need to enlarge any portion of your anatomy or sell electronics or want to tell me where I can score some cheap prescriptions, please move along. Otherwise, your message will be approved ASAP!!