Off of bedrest and ready to SHOP!!

Visted House O'Babies late yesterday afternoon and I'm officially off bedrest!

The contractions have calmed down and they took me off the Procardia - thank goodness!! That stuff had me jacked up.

So I'm back at work and everyone wants the story. What did I eat? (My guess is the leftover Chinese food I had for lunch Wednesday) Was it something at my baby shower? (No, my shower was on Saturday. I started getting sick on Wednesday) Do I feel ok? (Yes, i feel fine) Did I eat tomatoes? (No, I don't like tomatoes unless I can't see them in food.)

During my time on bedrest, I surfed a lot, slept a lot and worried a lot. I know, worrying doesn't help anything, but you can't help it when you hear the words "Pre-term labor" coming out of your midwife's mouth.

I've since had a very stern "discussion" with Spider Monkey demanding that she stay put for at least another 5 weeks. 5 weeks until she's considered full term. 5 weeks to get my crap together and get her room put in place.

We still don't have her crib, although Moo and I did make a decision. If you'll remember, Moo and I had a lovely crib and changer picked out that were subsequently recalled by the manufacturer. We went back and decided on this one. And this morning, I ordered this changer/dresser combo.

I'm to the point that I don't care - which Moo hates to hear me say. I do care though. I care that we get a safe crib. I care that it looks good in the room. I'm just to the point that any crib will do as long as it fits these criteria and we get it in the room and put together. I'm more interested in getting everything together than if it's the most stylish thing I've seen.

For one thing, from what I hear, spending tons of money on a crib hoping that it will live a long life is almost folly. Kids chew them. They get beaten up. Kids run their toys into the legs. If you think the crib/toddler bed/daybed/full size bed will make it to be a cherished heirloom, you probably live in Utopia and take far better care of your furniture than the rest of us. So for this reason, I haven't wanted to spend a small fortune setting up the nursery.

So we're frantically trying to pull everything together. I've created a master list of wants and needs and the items are prioritized based on whether the item is a necessity or a luxury. Where have all my good intentions of being totally prepared gone?

12 comments:

  1. Ohhhh...you are getting close!

    My 6 1/2 month old has yet to sleep in his crib. I assume some day I'll get him in there.

    My 5 year old did however stay in his crib until just after his 3rd birthday when he finally asked for a big boy bed. And his crib was a hand me down from friends. Looked like crap by the time we were done with it, but it did the job.

    Here from NCLM...

    ReplyDelete
  2. dearie me!! I am so glad to hear that the contractions have stopped! Scary stuff isn't it!! You keep telling Spider Monkey to hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi
    I'm here from NaComLeavCom
    Glad you are off bed rest and the contractions have stopped.
    I have my twins at 35 w4days and they were fine but I was still worried.
    I will book mark you blog ... wonder how many NCLM babies will be born.It would be a bit insensitive to ask for a list though.
    I agree kids wreck the nursery furniture ... get best you can afford that looks good enough and safe - some kids are out in 18 months.
    I bought heaps of things we rarely used.

    My Little Drummer boys
    warm regards
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here from NCLM.

    I am so glad to hear that you are no longer on bed rest, and that the contractions have stopped! How scary!

    I hope she sticks around for 5 more weeks, and I love the crib and changing table you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HEre from NCLM - I'm totally with you on the crib - my theory is - do you remember your nursary? It's totally all for the parents. I'm hoping to get a bunch of handmedown furniture from my neighborhood pals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're doing ok. I would just by a safe crib that wasn't too expensive because you really don't need to spend a lot of money on a crib. Save it for her college education.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're feeling better! I hope Phoebe cooperates and stays put for five more weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I hope baby stays put for a few more weeks!! FIVE. But not longer, because being pregnant after your due date is no fun!

    (NCLM)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi from NCLM :)

    I bet you are glad to be off bedrest! As much as I love laying around...I don't think I could handle it constantly. Hopefully your Spider Monkey will listen and wait a few more weeks :)

    I like that crib...pretty color!

    Take care & good luck...5 more weeks (not too much longer!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just was reading back a few posts and catching up on things. Wow, I'm glad you're feeling better and off of bedrest and that the little one is OK. Good luck on the nursery! (NCLM)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for being off bedrest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are feeling better and off the ick meds. You know - the baby will not care one whit about the nursery. :0) A bassinet by mom's bed (or a dresser drawer) and a laundry basket full of clean onesies and receiving blankets and little one will be more than happy so long as she is with you. Lots and lots of burp rags and you're good to get started.

    Enjoy the preparations. :0)

    Good wishes!

    NCLM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. Because of the SPAM, I moderate messages. If you need to enlarge any portion of your anatomy or sell electronics or want to tell me where I can score some cheap prescriptions, please move along. Otherwise, your message will be approved ASAP!!