Marriage counseling from George Kostanza

George Kostanza from Seinfield is the reason that my marriage is a success.

Let me explain.

On one particular episode, George decides his entire life is screwed up and decides that in the future, that no matter what his first instinct is, he will do the opposite. For example, he would normally refrain from telling a beautiful woman that he's just met that he's unemployed. When he does the opposite, the beautiful woman is instantly attracted to him. When he goes on an interview, instead of the suit and professional demeanor he'd normally use, he goes in sweats and eats during the interview. Of course, he gets the job.

My parents were married for 31 years. They were not particularly happy years. There was a lot of arguing, blatant dishonesty, etc. So, when I married Moo, I was worried about perpetuating the same mistakes.

On one occasion in the first few weeks of our marriage, Moo and I were having a disagreement and I asked my mother for advice. She told me that the situation was none of his business and I should do what I wanted.

Yes. She said that.

I decided this was a poor way to address a problem when I had stood up in front of our families, friends and God and swore to be a good partner to Moo.

Instead, I did the opposite and Moo and I were able to quickly resolve the issue - to the satisfaction of both.

Since then, I've used what I call the George Kostanza method whenever any issue comes up in our marriage. I figure out what my parents would do and I do the opposite.

So far, it works.


As Jerry says: "If every instinct you have is wrong, the opposite must be right."

For more marriage advice and how to keep your marriage or save your relationship or how to get back your ex, check out The Magic of Making Up.



6 comments:

  1. Love the Seinfeld episode and the way you applied the "Kostanza theory" to your marriage! Oh, and congrats on the pregnancy!!!

    I just (finally!) started my own blog. I hope you can stop by if you get a chance.

    http://lupuspie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarous! I found you through NaComLeavMo. I wonder how well that would work at work?

    I might give it a shot. Just do the opposite (when I just want to keep my mouth shut - maybe I SHOULD speak up.) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm...I never thought of George Kostanza as a mentor type, but it sounds like it's working perfectly for you! Yay George! :)

    (and yay for you for figuring out that you have to work to make a good marriage)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I do much the same thing. I have a cousin who makes such bad life choices, that I have deliberately made choices in my life by doing the opposite of what she would do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. here through NaComLeavMo...I absolutely love that method- since I relate to George in so many other ways. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. here through NaComLeavMo...I absolutely love that method- since I relate to George in so many other ways. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. Because of the SPAM, I moderate messages. If you need to enlarge any portion of your anatomy or sell electronics or want to tell me where I can score some cheap prescriptions, please move along. Otherwise, your message will be approved ASAP!!