The Faith of a Little Child

My better half has written a great post about the new movie, Narnia: Prince Caspian. He and I talked at length about the movie and the solid Christian message it portrays.

Now, before I get into this, know that I am a Christian. But I like to think that I'm the kind of Christian that none Christians tolerate pretty well. I don't proselytise. I don't point out scripture to anyone and everyone. So keep an open mind thru this discussion.

A brief synopsis: Our heroes from the first Narnia Movie (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) are whisked back to Narnia, but it's a Narnia 1300 years after they were there. They find the land under the control of an evil group of humans who are determined to get rid of Narnians - meaning the trolls, nymphs, minotaurs, etc. Prince Caspian is the heir to the throne of this group, but has been exposed to the "myths" about Narnia as part of his education and is shocked to find out that all the myths are true. He then, with the help of our heroes, claims his birthright and makes everything better again for all species.

The point of the story is that it is an allegory about faith. CS Lewis was one of the great writers of the last century, but we must remember that he is also one of the greatest Christian writers in contemporary times. His stories are fantastic tales with men and beasts working together to bring peace. A reoccurring character in these stories is the lion named Aslan. Aslan is an representation of Christ. He is sacrificed in the first story (Lion, witch, wardrobe) and possesses the power to heal, move mountains, etc.

During the first movie, Lucy, the youngest of the children is especially close to Aslan. She witnesses his death and subsequent resurrection and is the first to see him during the current movie.

Her older siblings however, don't see Aslan. They believe they alone can save Narnia and help Prince Caspian. They possess a certain amount of cockiness. They are very sure they know exactly how to save Narnia and they know they can accomplish it. Their first attempt fails spectacularly. Only when Lucy finds Aslan and brings him to the battlefield, do the children see him and, only then, do they succeed in driving the evil out of Narnia.

As Lucy finds Aslan, he asks the most important question of the movie: "Why didn't you seek me out before?"

How many times do we fumble around trying to figure out what the best move would be? I know when I have a problem I think about every possible way to attack the issue and often make it worse. Most times, I just worry myself into a panic attack which is a big enough disaster in my opinion. If I just calm down, quiet my mind and know - really KNOW - that there is a solution to every problem and have faith that the best, most harmonious solution will appear, 100% of the time, the solution does appear and it always seems easy.

Today, try to calm your mind and ask your higher power (God, higher self, etc) to show you the resolution to the most pressing problem in your life.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the books but haven't seen any of the movies yet. Congrats on your pregnancy! Here from NCLM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME post!
    We loved the movie and I enjoyed your perspective.
    Congratulations on your little girl!
    Here from NaComLeavMo
    ~Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from NCLM. Congrats on your pregnancy. I am yet to see any but the first film, however I loved all the books as a child, and still re-read them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. Because of the SPAM, I moderate messages. If you need to enlarge any portion of your anatomy or sell electronics or want to tell me where I can score some cheap prescriptions, please move along. Otherwise, your message will be approved ASAP!!