Knowing is half the battle...

I got a call from my OB/GYN office today. It was the nurse for my gyno. They got my blood work results from the 21 day progesterone tests. It appears that I am not ovulating.

The first step in all this is to start Metformin - otherwise known as Glucophage. It's a drug primarily for Diabetes treatment, but there's been a good bit of success in using it with PCOS patients (I wanted to say "victims").

I took Metformin for about 3 days a couple of years ago when my internist suggested it. I didn't take it with food and I also began taking it 3 a day. the resultant upset stomach made me stop it. I've since found that you should take it with food and should ramp up - taking 1 pill a day, then 2 then finally 3 instead of abruptly just taking all of it!

They're gonna do this for about 3 months and then we'll add Clomid for 2-3 months. If that doesn't work, they'll refer me to a reproductive endocrinologist. I already know who they'll refer me to, but I know that I want to go to another guy instead.

They've also advised me that the loss of even 20 pounds would drastically help my chance of fertility. Since I've been losing weight on my own now for a few weeks, I'll begin ramping up my work.

At first, I felt depressed. It was confirmation that I was a failure. But then, I realized that this is a chance to make a real change, both in my health and in my chances for a healthy pregancy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Because of the SPAM, I moderate messages. If you need to enlarge any portion of your anatomy or sell electronics or want to tell me where I can score some cheap prescriptions, please move along. Otherwise, your message will be approved ASAP!!